Saturday, January 30, 2010

2009 Movie Redux

Welcome back (or anew) to the annual Slachs Movie Redux newsletter. I've received several emails and texts over the last few weeks asking where my list is..and that warmed my heart..really. It's good to know that Netflix queues all over the country will be updated over the next few days. If just one of you rents a single movie from below, it will have all been worth..oh never mind!


You’re receiving this because I’ve either: sent you my list in the past, saw movies with you this year, know you in some other capacity and thought you may be interested in it, or perhaps argued the merits of certain films with you over a beer. By all means, please forward to friends, co-workers, lovers, and family members.


2009 was a pretty damn good year for film. Unlike the academy, I don't differentiate between American and foreign films. You'll see below that three of my top ten come from Europe. Also, some of these movies are listed in IMDB as 2008 or even 2007, but I am making my inclusions based on having viewed them on the big screen during the 2009 calendar year (regardless of my geographical location at the time).


TOP TEN MOVIES 2009 (in order):

Inglourious Basterds - Hands down the best film of 2009 and I'd even go so far as to say one of the best war movies ever made. Who else besides Tarantino would make his war epic by re-imagining its core events? Brilliant brilliant brilliant. Writing, directing, cinematography, acting, music, score, editing..heck I bet even the catered food was off the hook. The mexican stand-off scene in the pub basement was deliciously intense, one of the best scenes in Tarantino's portfolio. Christopher Waltz delivers the performance of the year as the "jew-hunter" Hans Landa. As he pulls his giant pipe from his jacket during the opening scene, Tarantino himself is throwing down the gauntlet, challenging all his peers, and blowing them out of the water. No other film last year comes close to this level of perfection.

Mesrine: Killer Instinct/Mesrine: Public Enemy No. 1 - For some reason, this was not released domestically, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I hadn't even heard of it until I happened upon it in TimeOut London while there last summer visiting my grandparents. I went to the premier at the Soho Curzon, now my new favorite theater. Cafes, bars, wifi (yay for iphone addiction!), large screens, dolby digital, and the most comfortable seats a tycoon or king could ask for. But I digress. Vincent Cassel turns in a tour-de-force, career apex performance as the notorious French gangster Jacques Mesrine (gallivanting around with the always stunning Ludivigne Sagnier) robbing banks, breaking out of prisons, killing/terrorizing the police, etc. This epic was split into two ala 'Kill Bill', but I definitely recommend watching them back to back in their entirety. One of the best of its genre in recent memory.

The White Ribbon (Das Weisse Band) - Michael Haneke is a marvelous filmmaker (let's give him a pass for 2007's miserable 'Funny Games'). 'Caché' was superb and this movie takes it to the next level. A creepy mystery/thriller which uneasily paints a picture of pre-WWII Germany, the story moves at an excellent pace as a deepening sense of dread grows within the viewer. Also, my favorite cinematography of the year. It was shot in color and then drained of all hues in order to create a scintillating black and white canvas. I don't know if this technique has been used before, but it was absolutely breathtaking. If you can still catch this in the theaters, please do so, because it begs for the big screen (or a projector/home theater *wink wink*).

It Might Get Loud - A new favorite music documentary. Brings together three guitar legends of the past few decades: Jimmy Page, The Edge, and Jack White. They come to discuss music and creation, craft and skill - and specifically the instrument itself. White is the purist, playing a slide guitar made with a coke bottle and a few rusty nails. Edge is a machine nerd, obsessing over all the effects and tweaking that modern technology allows for. Page is a masterful poet who coined some of the best riffs we've ever heard. The movie alternates between a study of the three together conversing (over one whole day meeting) and separate in their own individual environments and backgrounds. Towards the end of the movie, they all jam together, including a phenomenal scene of Page teaching them to play 'In My Time of Dying', all facing each other and wired to amps. Millionaires and successes themselves, White and Edge looked like little school boys grinning at their amazing luck. It made the hair on my arms stand up.

Limits of Control - Jim Jarmusch's best movie in years. Not much of a plot here, which usually is the kind of flick that drives me bonkers. But as opposed to being boring and pretentious, this was sublimely hypnotic and beautiful. Isaach De Bankolé (in an incredible performance) wanders coolly and amiably, in slick tailor made suits, through Spain and Europe to commit a contract killing. He visits museums, practices tai-chi in his luxurious various digs, beds a beautiful woman (Paz de la Huerta - my goodness gracious), and sits idly at cafes, charmingly always ordering "two espressos, separate glasses" (as opposed to a double-espresso). You will either love or hate this film, there is absolutely no in-between.

The Hurt Locker - Intense, action-packed, sitting on the edge of your seat potboiler about a bomb detonation crew in Iraq. This movie didn't do well at the box office but definitely deserves all the critical acclaim it has received. Jeremy Renner delivers a big league performance that I bet will result in lots of scripts coming his way in the next few months. Look forward to it.

Hunger - A devastating portrayal of the hunger strikes at the Maze prison in Ireland during Thatcher's regime in the early eighties. Not much dialogue, and lots of deliberately held shots (e.g. feces spread in circles on the prison cell walls) - McQueen incredibly conjures up an amazingly realistic and brutal (and unfortunately true) story that explores the evil depths that men, or men in particular situations, will succumb to; or the heroics (false/misguided?) they will achieve. Michael Fassbender (who also played, excellently, the movie critic in 'Basterds') is one to keep your eye on. An actor with seemingly no holes in his game, he nails the lead with conviction. Amazing work ethic in starving himself ridiculously skinny to shoot some of the tougher to watch scenes.

Avatar - Saw it opening day, was blown away, and had to see it again in 3D-IMAX, where I was blown away again. Cameron, despite his larger than life ego, has really put together something incredible here. I vehemently disagree with the naysayers who say it is merely a visual fete, with no story (I consider movies like 'Sin City' to fall into that category) - it is a very entertaining adventure/sci-fi tale. The imaginary world of Pandora and its indigenous creatures -- from plant life to predators to allied airborne and equine friends to the human-like Na'vi themselves -- is fully absorbing and spectacular. I have a feeling that when this reaches HBO, I'll be spending a lot more time therein.

Star Trek - Holy shit, awesome! As a fan of the TV show, seeing these characters’ origin stories on the big screen with grandiose effects and witty banter was a real treat. Had to see it twice in fact. I was nervous going in that it might suck, but that was before I had ever watched a single episode of 'Lost' and knew what JJ Abrams was capable of. I don't mean to sound overly hyperbolic, but easily moves into my top ten sci-fi flicks of all time.

Bronson - Uh, how the HELL did Tom Hardy not get a nomination for his outstanding work in this movie about the most famous prisoner in British history? A sociopath on the level of 'A Clockwork Orange' - except this guy is real. Wow. Very original and unique stylization in its storytelling, it all worked for me.


-------------------------------------------------------------

RUNNER-UPS

Gomorrah - Gritty, stirring, revelatory film about the gruesome underbelly of the Italian mafia (in Italy - not Tony Soprano in Jersey...) Some fine fine filmmaking here.
(500) Days Of Summer -
Yes I love Zooey, and yes the soundtrack was lifted directly from my iPod - regardless, this movie was charming, lovable, sweet, and fun. Warmed my heart, made me smile, and made me swoon. Inspiring even. A chick flick..for guys.

Summer Hours - I'm sure I've used this expression a hundred times before, but whatever - another French existential gem. A movie about life and people and relationships and family. Grab a croissant and cafe au lait, curl up on the couch on a rainy Sunday in your pajamas, and enjoy.

Sin Nombre - Man, I just realized that I am really into movies with a lot of violence, crime, mobsters, gangs, etc. They completely grip me, what can I say? This Mexican movie weaves the action around an excellent cast and plotline (characters fleeing for a new life in the mythological 'sidewalks paved with gold' America..) Some excellent cinematography as well.

A Single Man - Colin Firth shines in the designer Tom Ford's directorial debut, about a gay professor mourning the loss of his partner in early sixties Los Angeles. I love when artists from other mediums take on film and succeed (my favorite example of which is the 1996 masterpiece 'Basquiat' by Julian Schnabel).

Departures - Lots of food eating scenes in this movie about a failed cellist who takes on a new career as a funeral ceremony master. Melancholy and serene.

In The Loop - I still need to see the original British TV series this was based on, and I intend to after watching this hilarious political satire (scarily not so satirical in its quite accurate portrayal of bureaucracy at its worst). Peter Capaldi downright steals the movie as the high strung, always cussing, communications director for Downing St. If you enjoy dry British humor, you will love this movie.

Throw Down Your Heart - Bela Fleck travels around Africa with his banjo, meeting and jamming with local musicians, embracing the people and cultures he encounters along the way. The best world music movie released this year (the only?)

Broken Embraces - Pedro Almodóvar is a one of a kind artist. I love the tones his movies create and the worlds his characters inhabit. Penelope Cruz is one of the greatest working actresses out there.

A Serious Man - A Coen Bros original, that's for sure. Not up there with 'The Big Lebowski', but what is? Darkly comical and intelligent in its observations.

Crazy Heart - Jeff Bridges perfectly plays the role of the nearly washed-up, alcoholic, on the road, former country music star. And he even sings his with his own voice. Very impressive. I hope he wins the Oscar.

Capitalism: A Love Story - I don't care if you hate Michael Moore. Watch this movie and get back to me. The banking bailout is an outright national disgrace. I am going to move onto the next item on this list before I have a coronary.

Wonderful World - Matthew Broderick stars as curmudgeon in this little film about an unlikely friendship and even unlikelier subsequent romance. If you liked last year's 'The Visitor' you'll dig this.

Up In The Air - I bet you've all already seen this. I liked it, definitely worth seeing. George Clooney is a fine lead and the scenes where he is laying people off, casting used actual people who lost their jobs around the time of the making of the movie. Pretty cool.

The Damned United - Michael Sheen is one of my favorite British character actors. If you're a football (i.e. soccer) fan, you'll almost definitely enjoy this, but if you're not, I doubt you will.

Anvil - Pretty painful (and painfully funny) documentary about a failed metal band, which is really ultimately about failed dreams and men leading lives of quiet desperation.

Goodbye Solo - see 'Wonderful World' above, minus Matthew Broderick. Ramin Bahrani is, in my humble opinion, one of the more overrated directors on the indie scene. But he does deserve kudos for this one.

The International - Clive Owen is always a hoot. A popcorn international espionage flick that is quite entertaining. The shootout scene at the Guggenheim Museum is wild!

Paris - Juliette Binoche is always a pleasure, and this is no exception. A French movie about a dying sibling, set lovingly in one of the world's great cities.

The Private Lives of Pippa Lee - I remember being completely turned off by the trailer, especially the seventeenth time I saw it at The Angelika. In one of those rare instances, though, the movie is actually far superior to drivel the coming attraction makes it out to be. Robin Wright-Penn has come a long way since 'The Princess Bride' and shows some pretty nifty acting dexterity here. Blake Lively, stunningly beautiful, has surely acted her way into a lot of director's minds.

Sugar - Likely for baseball lovers only, this tale follows an up and coming Dominican pitcher from his hometown up to the minor leagues in the states. Realistic depictions and no 'sugar' coated endings...

Two Lovers - Joaquin Phoenix is an underrated actor. He carries this movie almost singlehandedly - taking us with him as he suffers, falls in love, deals with rejection, and interacts within the paradigm of his dysfunctional family. Gwyneth Paltrow does well also.

Red Cliffs - John Woo tackles this Chinese epic about the end of the Han Dynasty with a vengeance, including all the politicking, battles, and culture (food, music, religion, clothing) meticulously cultivated. The two and a half hours fly by.

Pirate Radio - If I remember correctly, the media widely panned this movie. It's no 'Rosebud' but it doesn't try to be. The soundtrack is great (and probably the main character) in this funny and fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. Kenneth Branagh plays the uptight British conservative convincingly.

Tokyo Sonata - A small glimpse into the lives of a Japanese family affected by its patriarch's layoff from his administrative Tokyo job. There are lots of scenes of eating delicious steaming bowls of white rice and other yummy delicacies. Damn, now I'm craving Japanese food.

Revanche - An Austrian thriller with loads of wonderful performances, an interesting and twisting storyline, and some great shots of both city and farm.

District 9 - It's true, I fell asleep on opening night after about ten minutes (sorry sis!) But not because it was boring - au contraire, it was extremely entertaining and I rushed to the theater the following day to revisit the parts I had missed. Highly original.

Collapse - A documentary that basically is an interview of its subject, Michael Ruppert, and his extremely intelligent (and downright horrifying) theories about where the world is heading due to the various economic and political afflictions the world is currently experiencing. It's amazing to me how movies like this get swept under the rug and no one notices. It's not a conspiracy, just a staggering reminder of the ignorance around us.

Up I'm not really into cartoons, I must admit. Pixar does it better than everybody though and the story at the heart and soul of this adventure almost brings a tear to the eye...

Waltz With Bashir - Another cartoon, but this one ain't for children. An Israeli war movie with some interesting psychological motifs. I really like this particular type of animation technique.

Food Inc. - Very powerful documentary about the big international food companies, and all their dirty little secrets. I was disgusted and appalled for about an hour. Then I went and had a bacon cheeseburger. Sorry vegetarians!

Tyson - By the end of the film, you sympathize with the most famous boxer of our time who once chomped off Evander Holyfield's ear during a fight and served time in prison for rape, amongst many other fiascos.

An Education - Carey Mulligan excels as the London teenager who is lured by an older man and the luxuries he can provide. Straight up drama, no chaser needed.

Moon - An intellectual science fiction movie about human cloning, nerds and geeks will appreciate but certainly not for the whole family. Sam Rockwell is another under-appreciated guy who sports some lengthy acting chops. The best part about this movie though is the philosophical/ethical questions it raises about the future (which will be here faster than we think...)

The Yes Men Fix The World - These guys have taken corporate/political hoaxes to the highest level ever achieved. Awesome. Keep on keepin' on fellas.

The Cove - Dolphin genocide in Japan. Stomach turning and deeply disturbing.


-----------------------------------------------------------

DECENT (definitely queue-worthy)

Taken - "I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills that I have acquired over a very long career; skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Ahahahahahahahahhaa, Liam Neeson kicks ass and takes no prisoners in this kidnapping thriller. Grab a pizza and a few friends, kick back, and take in some mindless but thoroughly entertaining, action.

Notorious - A pretty decent biopic about the 'Party & Bullshit' connoisseur himself. I love the fact that his real life son plays him as a kid.

Nobody To Watch Over Me - Whoa, I thought the American and British media were out of control. They are, but in Japan it's even worse. If you're interested in the devastating sociological effects of the internet and paparazzi on a high school Japanese girl, then this one's for you!

Adventureland - Where I grew up, the local amusement park was called Adventureland. I even had a birthday there one year. So this flick brought back some memories and a flood of nostalgia. This movie was all in good fun, but it does contain what I consider to be the worst miscast of the year with Ryan Reynolds as the loserish older dude hanging around the teenagers. Weird.

Julie & Julia - Meryl Streep, as per her usual self, absolutely kills it as Julia Child. The other half of the movie is pure Hollywood rubbish.

The Invention Of Lying - If you like Ricky Gervais, you'll like this movie. And if you're a Bill Maher-type atheist, you'll crack up throughout. A good concept that is executed well.

Whatever Works - Woody Allen and Larry David. Nuff said.

The Road - An exact representation of the book. EXACT. I loved the book but I would've liked to have seen something more from the director other than direct adaptation. Hm.

Tokyo - Three weird short stories set in, duh, Tokyo.

Zombieland - Woody Harrelson is hilarious. Watch this on a Saturday night when you don't feel like going out, but want to feel like you did something weekend-worthy. Or something.

I Love You Man - Funny, charming.

Bruno - Hilarious, but a little bit over the top. I preferred Borat.

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call – New Orleans - It's quite odd to me that Warner Herzog ('Grizzly Man', 'Encounters at the End of the World') also makes a pulp cop drama such as this, but gets everything Nic Cage has to give and that alone makes the movie worth seeing. Val Kilmer, in a complete non-character role, wins the award this year for "uh, really, these are the kinda parts you are now being offered, wtf?"


--------------------------------------------------

MEH

Big Fan - A guy in his thirties obsessed with the New York Giants, I mean, how can I relate to that? AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA! Really though, meh.

Coraline - Had I taken my six and four year old nephews to this, I'm sure I would've loved their reaction to it. But I didn't and it really is a kids movie. Meh.

The Baader Meinhof Complex - I wanted to like this, my kind of subject matter, but meh, kinda boring,

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - It wasn't as bad as the critics made it out to be, but it wasn't great either. Meh.

Rudo y Cursi - Sort of like the soccer version of 'Sugar' but it wasn't anywhere near as good. Meh.

Serbis - A Filipino art film about a deteriorating family run movie theater in a ghetto part of town and characters with dead end lives. Pass. Meh.

Where The Wild Things Are - I think I need to watch this again to see if I'm missing something, but I was bored to tears. And to zzzzzzzz's. Meh meh meh.

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus - Gilliam is pretty much washed up. It was ok I guess. Meh.

The Men Who Stare At Goats - some funny stuff, but ultimately, meh.

Observe & Report - OK, enough already with Seth Rogen. Meh.

Armored - This should have been a straight to TNT release. Meh.

Nine - I got nothing but mehs for this lazy effort. Daniel Day-Lewis is a great actor, but he should not have taken this role. It's stupid.


---------------------------------------------------------------

OVERRATED

The Hangover - I'm going to take more shit for this review than any other I predict. Yes, I thought the movie was funny. I laughed out loud a few times. But come on now, this is NOT a classic. It's just not. They ruined it by showing too much in the trailer. The Mike Tyson scene would've been a hundred times better as a surprise, but instead some bean-counter in Hollywood probably forced them to include it.

The Class - Sorry, but I'm not that interested in the lives of Parisian teenagers.

Precious - OK, I admit there are outstanding performances in this movie by the lead Gabourey Sidibe and Mo'nique. But even with the expansion this year to ten movies nominated for best picture (aka we need to advertise an extra five movies - weaksauce) this is not even close to that level of cinema. I have no intention of ever watching this movie again. That says a lot.

The Messenger - Woody Harrelson excels, but I thought the movie tried a little too hard.

The Blind Side - I don't know why I watched this other than I like the fact that it's based on a true story and it's about an offensive linesman. It's more like an after school special though than a feature film.

Public Enemies - Probably my biggest disappointment of the year, because I really like Michael Mann's work ('The Insider', "Heat'). But let's be fair and call a spade a spade, this movie fell flat. Depp and Bale seemed to mail it in, and Marion Cotillard is probably the most overrated actress going. She won the Oscar for her portrayal of Edith Piaf, but she was downright bad in this and 'Nine'. Compare and contrast with Audrey Tautou and you'll see what I mean.

Invictus - The South African rugby team rallies around Nelson Mandela. Unfortunately, the audience isn't inspired to do the same. Even the sports scenes were mediocre at best.

Watchmen - Visually stunning but there were some serious issues of direction, editing, and acting in this overrated sci-fi "I'm gonna pretend to like it more than I actually do because it's based on one of the all time best graphic novels". The final half hour is asinine.

La Nana (The Maid) - Don't bother.

The Informant - Matt Damon does quite a good job, but this movie just didn't work for me.

The Soloist - The 60 Minutes piece was all I needed, no need for a feature film with broad stroke characterizations and uninspiring storytelling.

Duplicity - Too cute for its own good.


--------------------------------------------------------------

WORST MOVIES 2009

Antichrist - I HATE YOU LARS VON TRIER. You're an idiot posturing as an artist, but it's time someone pointed out that this emperor wears no clothes.

Taking Woodstock - Really Ang Lee? Really? Wait, the same guy who made 'The Ice Storm' made this?!? I love your standup and your comedy central show Demetri Martin, but holy cow, what were you thinking taking this part. One of the worst scripts in years...

Terminator Salvation - Christian Bale's freak-out on the camera guy, and the subsequent YouTube dance remix, and finally the requisite apology are the only things this movie has going for it.

Away We Go - Just stop. Please. Self-righteous garbage served on a shingle.

Funny People - Um, no. Will Adam Sandler ever have another "shampoo is better than conditioner" moment again? After 'Zohan' and this, I am starting to have my doubts...

The Girlfriend Experience - Ooh it stars the real life porn star Sasha Grey, how courageous and avant-garde. Soderbergh, I expect more.

Law Abiding Citizen - How does someone come up with this crapola?

Sherlock Holmes - A SWIIIIIIIIIIIIIING and a miss. Strike Three, you're out.

The Lovely Bones - Icky and miscast. Rachel Weisz is pretty much the only thing I liked about this overly stylized melodrama. Take some time off, Peter Jackson, you've earned it.

The Brothers Bloom - Stop choosing bad movies Rachel, see directly above!

Fighting - not worthy of an explanation.

The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3 - Denzel and Travolta. Stuck on the 6 train and headed nowhere except to the bank to cash their paychecks.


--------------------------------------------------------------

Happy film watching in 2010, and try to enjoy tonight's Oscars.


I'd like to thank Microsoft Word for giving me the tools to edit this document, Apple for all their wonderful support in fixing my Macbook Pro, all my facebook fans and supporters, the staff of Fabiane's Cafe....ahahahahahahahahha, I kid I kid!


One final tidibt, I absolutely LOVED a small Norwegian movie I watched this year via Netflix called "O'Horten". It's my diamond in the rough pick of the year. Watch it, let me know what you think.


I don't have an editor and time is running out so no proofreading I'm afraid. Please excuse all mistakes.


Cheers all y'all!